Skin Benefits of Berries
Berries are rich in nutrients and anti-oxidants and have a powerful influence in reducing skin damage, acne and black spots. It is thus no wonder that major cosmetics companies around the world are harnessing the power of the natural ingredients in berries to make their well known and fast selling skin care products.
What then are these main components sourced from berries.
- Vitamin C – It is a powerful antioxidant that safeguards the skin from free radicals. It also increases collagen and elastin levels and keeps the skin hydrated, preventing dryness and cracking. Vitamin C is found in blackberries, blueberries, cranberries, elderberries, goji berries, raspberries, and strawberries.
- Anthocyanin – This is the pigment that gives the natural deep red, purple, and blue colours to berries. It is also a strong antioxidant that reduces damage from free radicals on the skin. This pigment is found in blackberries, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
- Essential fatty acids – This is what ensures general good health of the skin and keeps it fresh and young. It also helps to keep the skin moist and hydrated and reduces inflammation. This element is found in Acai berries, and in the seeds of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and cranberries.
- Ellagic acid – Like Vitamin C, it is also an antioxidant that guards the skin from harmful UV rays of the sun and stops production of an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin in the skin. Hence this protects wrinkle formation and keeps the skin fresh and young. Ellagic acid is found in raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and cranberries.
To take proper care of your skin with berries being the main ingredients, here are three DIY processes that you can try out at home.
- Cranberry face wash – Take ¼ cup of cornmeal, 2tsb freshly crushed cranberries, 1tsb buttermilk and 2 tsp of honey. Put in a bowl and whisk with a fork. Once the blend is smooth and of thick consistency, massage into the face and neck for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse the areas with lukewarm water. Applying this face scrub on clean moist skin about twice a week will work wonders on the skin.
- Antioxidant hand and foot masks – This mask uses the natural properties of three types of berries. Mix ¾ cup each of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in a blender with ½ cup of kefir. Apply liberally to hands and feet and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water. Apply once a month for optimum results.
- Anti-aging mask – Take a handful of raspberries and mash them up. Blend a spoonful of honey into the mixture. Apply the mask to clean skin and let it sit for around 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft cloth. You can choose anti ageing masks from your local super market shelf but you can be sure that there will be none to beat the effectiveness of this homemade remedy.
Apart from the berries that are commonly found Acai berries have today established a strong reputation as a super food and one that is very good for the skin and hair. It also facilitates weight loss. They are also great for the skin. It has high anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to eliminate skin blemishes such as dark spots and acne and is rich in Vitamin C that has anti-ageing properties.
Even though these options are good for the skin, a bit of external help is also advisable to maintain that glamorous look. Once in a while, book an appointment at a beauty clinic and spa for skin rejuvenation treatment on advanced state of the art IPL hair removal machine and equipment. This is definitely necessary for the polished sparkling look. While regular home treatments will take care of your skin round the year, treatment on an IPL machine will add that extra sparkle. Keep it for the special looks required on specific occasions.